This earth is not our home, but enjoy the journey!


This earth is not our home, but enjoy the journey!



Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas Caroling

This is a tradition at the Nobles household, we go every year! I thought you might enjoy the history of Kathryn's caroling....glad you asked, here it is.

When I was growing up on the farm in Florida, our church youth group would go caroling. It was quite an event, we would start at the dairy down the road from my house and have the DAIRY BOWL. This was touch football in the pasture & it was not pattie free! While some were playing football, others would gather in the large kitchen of the Jost family & bake cookies.  The Jost family was known for their baking, and we just followed their lead.  As it got dark, we would go into town to carol.  We gave out the cookies when we caroled - usually widows in our church.  It was fun tromping around town in the dark with my friends, singing Christmas songs.  Thus, I carry on the tradition today.

I typically go caroling twice during the holidays...once with college kids, once with the children at church.  I like both events, but they are very different.  The college crowd is invited to "Carols, Cookies & Cocoa".  I bake lots of cookies for them to eat, and serve homemade hot cocoa.  We usually carol in my neighborhood, but have done it in various parts of Rome.

2011 Carolers: typical Berry ratio, only 2 guys, but we had 2 Shorter students too!
This is usually a Calvary event, but I invite my music friends from Berry to make sure we have some good singers...cause caroling is definitely better when you have folks that can sing!  The past two years I have had a huge turn out of music majors...they sound really good, though those sopranos can get on your nerves always ending the song with a really high note!  My neighbors love it when we come caroling.  We sing two songs and then We Wish You a Merry Christmas.  As one neighbor said, "just enough for me to be excited, listen and then you leave!"

In a few weeks I'll go caroling with the kids at church.  The children love running up and ringing the bell or knocking on the door.  We go to the apartment complex behind the church & often take a bag of cookies to those who will open their door.   We sing sacred & secular songs...same format - 2 songs & the closer.  Occasionally the door gets shut before we are finished!  I have sung to many a door that didn't open, but we sing for anyone who is willing to listen. As Buddy the Elf says, "the best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear"

No comments:

Post a Comment