This earth is not our home, but enjoy the journey!


This earth is not our home, but enjoy the journey!



Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Another Christmas Tradition

I've been going to band concerts for as long as I can remember!  I was in the band, my older brother was in the band, all my kids are in (or have been) in the band. Every year at the Christmas concert the Symphonic Band ends with Sleigh Ride by Leroy Anderson.  This is one of my favorite songs & it doesn't seem like Christmas until I've hear the RHS band play this tune.

There are two distinct features of Sleigh Ride - the horse at the beginning & end of the song and the cracking of the whip in the middle of the piece.  Alyssa was in the percussion section and for several years was the designated whip player.  This year, Carrie had the honor of making the horse sound. This is done with muted trumpet.  Now for some reason, the director decided to move the 1st trumpets to the middle of the band, instead of having them on the end as usual - so it's a little hard to hear the horse.  Listen carefully and you'll hear the whinny at the very beginning & end of the piece.

To help you ring in the Christmas season, here is the Rome High Symphonic Band & Sleigh Ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment