This earth is not our home, but enjoy the journey!


This earth is not our home, but enjoy the journey!



Friday, August 19, 2011

Lessons from Lila


Today I had the good fortune to have lunch with a dear lady named Lila. Lila is 91 years young! I first met her when I was in college. She was a local piano teacher, that had recently become a widow. Several years later I moved into Lila's neighborhood. Here are things I learned from observing her and talking with her.

  • Excercise is important. I saw Lila many mornings walking on her street, and I would stop to talk. She continued to walk the hill on her street until she was in her late 80's.
  • She loved Jesus, and served Him faithfully. When I would see her on my walk, she would often tell me about the sermon she had heard on TV or the radio. Or she would tell me something she learned from her bible study. She taught preschool Sunday School at her church for many years.
  • She always welcomed people into her home. Lila raised five children, and has LOTS of grands and great grands. There were always people coming to visit Lila, and she loved to have them in her home. She was always cooking for her family. Our music teacher's group had our annual luncheon at her home for over 20 years. She was a lovely hostess.
  • Music is something that you can do for a lifetime. Lila taught piano until about the age of 89. Her students loved her, and there are many musicians because she was willing to share her love of music with them. She still plays the piano today. In fact, her piano is in her bedroom at the assisted living center where she lives!
  • Lila is always smiling and laughing. She tries to see the best in everyone, but don't cross her. She isn't afraid to tell you when you are wrong and need improvement.

A few years ago, Lila moved to an assisted living home and that is where I visited with her today. She is still sharp as a tack. She still looks great...make-up and clothes just right! I hope when I'm 91 that I can be just like Lila! She has been a wonderful mentor and role model for me over the past 30 years.

Lila visiting with Martha and Catherine in her 2 room apartment at Winthrop Court.

I took this after Catherine left, and used my self timer...that accounts for the weird angle of the picture. It was a piano teacher reunion with Lila, and we must do it again soon. She is a delightful lady with a great legacy.






No comments:

Post a Comment