This earth is not our home, but enjoy the journey!


This earth is not our home, but enjoy the journey!



Friday, September 24, 2010

Reading = enjoyment & education

I love to read! As a teenager I read...probably things that weren't appropriate. I read lots of magazines...yes, even Cosmopolitan. It was tamer back in the day, but still inappropriate! When my children were young I didn't have a lot of time for reading, except the books I was reading to them. We went to the library EVERY Tuesday for storytime. We checked out books, often the same book over & over. Aaron's favorite was Snail Saves the Day. It was about a snail who caught the winning touchdown in a football game.

The television is on a LOT at my house, but I don't watch it. I hear it, but I never sit and watch a show. E.R. was my show - but alas, it is no longer in produced. So, I read and cook! Those are my hobbies. You might say cooking is a necessity, but I would argue so is reading. I learn so much from reading. I learn about other places, other cultures, and other ideas. I enjoy fiction and read a variety of authors, though I admit to having my favorites. But today is about non-fiction books. Here is a brief list of my favorite non-fiction books from the past year or so. Check them out from your local library, it's my favorite place to shop!

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
there is also a young reader version that Kate read.
Stones into Schools by Greg Mortenson
Gifted Hands by Ben Carson
another with a young reader version
Hiding in the Spotlight by Greg Dawson
Between Two Worlds by Roxana Saberi
Another Day in the Frontal Lobe by Katrina Firlik
Outcast United by Warren St. John
Saving Henry - a Mother's Journey by Laurie Strongin
An Ordinary Man - Paul Rusesabagina

This is a short list, but I encourage you to check them out. They will challenge your mind and enlarge your world. Happy Reading!

1 comment: